The following minimum requirements were set out by INSTOPP as a guideline:
- Registration with the HPCSA.
- Registration with the Board of Health Care Funders (BHF).
- Membership of appropriate specialized groups in the field of practice.
- Knowledge on the rules and ethical standards set out by the HPCSA and the Professional Board for Occupational Therapy.
- Knowledge on fee structures.
Although not enforceable, it is highly recommended that you have the following experience prior to entering into private practice:
- Paediatrics – 2 years general experience, or 2 years in a paediatric clinic or facility.
- Psychiatry – 3 years in psychiatric institution or clinic.
- Physical – 2 years general physical including one year in the speciality field chosen.
- Medico-legal work – 3-5 years’ experience including at least 18 months in speciality field or area of expertise.
- Placement of students – We recommend at least one year experience in your current private practice.